The desire to discover my family roots has been a driving force in my life. My work has turned into the most surprising adventure... and a look into the lives of amazing ancestors who, through great trials and self sacrifice forged legacies that leave me in awe. I am humbled by the miracle of self preservation and the unwavering determination to see a “New World” where they could worship God according to the dictates of their own conscience. I owe a debt of not only gratitude but integrity to these ancestors who crossed the seas to establish this great country and the freedoms I now enjoy. I was deeply moved when President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Be true to who you are and the family name you bear." I believe the lives of those who came before me echo that same message.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Thomas Danforth

Colonial Governor
My 10th Great Grandfather
Born 20 November 1623
Framlington, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Died 26 March 1697
Cambridge, Maryland, British America
Thomas emigrated to New England in 1634 seeking freedom of religion. He was a politician, magistrate, and landowner in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. A conservative Puritan, he served for many years as one of the colony's councilors and magistrates, generally leading opposition to attempts by the English kings to assert control over the colony. He accumulated land in the central part of the colony that eventually became a portion of Framingham, Massachusetts. His government roles included administration of territory in present-day Maine that was purchased by the colony. During the witchcraft delusion in 1692 Thomas Danforth showed his correctness of judgment by the firmness with which he condemned the proceedings of the court.

Lineage...Sandra Christensen, Albert Christensen, Ellen Kate McAllister, Richard Wesley Walling McAllister, Richard Wesley McAllister, Elizabeth Thompson, Mary Abbott, Benjamin Abbott, Joseph Abbott, Elizabeth Phipps, Samuel Phipps, Mary Danforth, Thomas Danforth

No comments:

Post a Comment